The final whistle goes! Fittingly, it’s just as another dangerous cross from Real Sociedad fizzes across the face of the Bayern Munich goal. Bayern put in wave after wave of convincing attacks at the end of the first half and finally broke through, but will have been less than encouraged both by their failure to add a second and by the nervy moments of lost control in the second half. In the end, Sociedad would fail to find their equalizer, and Bayern come away with a slim advantage after the first leg.
- How impressive was Georgia Stanway? A machine in the midfield and looking like a crucial player already.
- That Klara Bühl — Lea Schüller linkup was dynamic.
- Bayern lost the ball way too many times near their own penalty box near the end of the game.
- Champions League football is now in sight! Auf geht’s!
The Frauen will be looking to lock down a win in the first leg of this tie and get back on the winning track after a 0-0 draw with Eintracht Frankfurt in their Bundesliga opener last weekend. The game is streaming free on YouTube; watch with us below:
89’ — Sociedad’s chance! A spectacular cross finds a Sociedad player right in front of the Bayern keeper and she latches on first time from point-blank range. It flies over the bar! But could just as easily have slammed into the back of the net. Bayern escape with their advantage intact.
86’ — Bayern almost finish it off! Maximiliane Rall is played through into the box and somehow collects a ball that looks out of reach for her. She lofts it across goal and the net is empty — but it’s just beyond the reach of any teammate and it goes harmlessly out of play.
75’ — Defensive change for Alexander Straus as Maximiliane Rall comes on for Carolin Simon. Bayern are scrambling a little on defense as Sociedad push for an equalizer.
65’ — Close! Georgia Stanway loses the ball in midfield and Real Sociedad cut a clean swath through the Bayern half of the pitch. A shot comes in from range and it beats the keeper! But fortunately for Bayern, clangs just off the crossbar. Almost an equalizer against the run of play.
62’ — Lina Magull on for Linda Dallmann, who had a couple of great chances in the first half. Bayern have had several great looks in the second half but it’s still just 1-0.
45’ — GOAL!!!! There it is! Of course it’s Lea Schüller! She’s fed through with an outstanding through-ball from Klara Bühl which slices past two levels of defense and puts the Bayern striker 1-v-1 with the keeper again. This time she makes no mistake and tucks it away into the far corner. And it’s Bayern who break the deadlock!
43’ — Klara Bühl’s dummy in the box tees up Lea Schüller from just beyond the penalty spot to line up a shot on goal — but it’s straight at the keeper.
37’ — Real Sociedad almost strike back! A whipped cross finds a player near the penalty spot and the shot is blazed just wide. Now it’s Bayern who are lucky. It’s still 0-0 but the feeling is that a goal is coming before the half ends.
35’ — SO CLOSE! Bayern break the lines in build-up and all the runners are free. Dallmann collects on the wing again and feeds Georgia Stanway — the recent Manchester City arrival and new European champion with England — on the overlap. Stanway’s excellent ball in fizzes across goal to find Lea Schüller at the back post, but for the second time in minutes the pass is just inches too far ahead of the star striker.
29’ — Bayern Munich keeper Maria-Luisa Grohs sends Linda Dallman over the top past everybody, and it’s an excellent strike under pressure in a 1-v-1 with the Real Sociedad keeper! The ball thumps against the post and the Spanish side count their lucky stars.
The Frauen’s lineup has a lot of familiar faces and should be poised to give Real Sociedad all it can handle:
Location: Estadio Anoeta, San Sebastián, Gipuzkoa, Spain
Time: 7:00 pm local time, 1:00 pm EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.
We would love to say thanks to the author of this article for this incredible content
Bayern Munich 1-0 Real Sociedad: Initial reactions and observations
Take a look at our social media profiles and also other related pageshttps://topfut.com/related-pages/