The summer transfer window is closed for the major leagues in Europe. However, with an eye on January, there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Juve plot next defensive moves
Juventus saw plenty of action in the 2022 summer transfer window, but now that it is over they are already looking ahead to next few windows, according to Tuttosport.
Alex Sandro will leave as a free agent in the summer and will be replaced, but the main focus for the Bianconeri is to bring in a new left-footed centre-back as their current options — Leonardo Bonucci, Bremer, Daniele Rugani and Federico Gatti — are all right-footed.
It is suggested that Juventus are also looking at Fiorentina’s Igor Julio, who has been on their radar for a matter of months.
They were able to watch the Brazilian in closer detail Saturday, as the 24-year-old was at the heart of Fiorentina’s defence for the full 90 minutes as they drew 1-1 against Juventus after recovering from going behind in the ninth minute.
Having faced Dusan Vlahovic last season and Arkadiusz Milik — who scored Juve’s goal — this term, it is felt by those within Juventus that they will have precious notes to call upon in January and June.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, more (U.S.)
20.00 BST: Rafinha has signed for Qatari side Al Arabi after leaving Paris Saint-Germain, the club has announced.
The midfielder made 39 appearances for PSG after joining from Barcelona two years ago but failed to establish himself at the Parc des Princes.
Rafinha spent the second half of last season on loan at Real Sociedad and has now signed a two-year deal with Al Arabi after being released from his contract with PSG.
19.06 BST: Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has said he is unsure how many minutes Marco Asensio and Eden Hazard will play after both stayed at the Bernabeu during the transfer window, according to ESPN’s Alex Kirkland, who was on-site for Real Madrid’s win on Saturday.
Madrid beat Real Betis 2-1 on Saturday to continue their impressive early-season form, but Asensio and Hazard played no part in the victory as they stayed on the bench.
Both forwards will be desperate to play ahead of the World Cup in Qatar, but Ancelotti appeared to pour cold water on their hopes of featuring in his post-match press conference.
“It’s hard to say, I don’t know how many minutes they’ll get in each game,” Ancelotti said. “Each game has its story. I made changes to bring some energy to the midfield. I wanted Ceballos and Kroos to bring their quality. I didn’t need to bring on Hazard and Asensio at 1-1.”
18.01 BST: New York City FC has signed right-back Stephen Turnbull on a short-term contract MLS NEXT Pro affiliate NYCFC II.
Turnbull, 24, has made 19 appearances for the Major League Soccer club’s second team since signing for them in March, scoring five goals and assisting a further three.
The New York state native, per MLS rules, can sign a maximum of four short-term contracts per season and appear in no more than two league season matches.
17.14 BST: Crystal Palace are prepared to make a £20m bid for Chelsea midfielder Conor Gallagher in January, according to The Sun.
Gallagher, 22, impressed on loan at Selhurst Park last season with eight goals and three assists for the Eagles in the Premier League.
The England international chose to push for a first-team place at Chelsea this season, and has made five appearances for the Blues so far.
However, Palace could make a fresh bid to bring him back when the transfer window re-opens if the opportunity presents itself.
16.29 BST: Former United States U20 international Marlon Fossey is set to leave Fulham for Standard Liege, The Athletic reports.
Fossey, 23, is due to have a medical on Monday, and the two clubs have until Tuesday to complete the deal before the Belgian transfer deadline.
Fossey, who holds dual UK and U.S. citizenship, spent last season on loan at Bolton Wanderers, with his only appearance for the Cottagers this season coming in the 2-0 Carabao Cup defeat at Crawley.
15.37 BST: Following the completion of Antony‘s summer transfer to Manchester United, there are two parties claiming they are due £20m in fees for their part in the deal, the Daily Mirror reports.
Brazilian forward Antony joined United from Ajax last week for a fee of £86m, the second-highest outlay by the club for a player ever.
However, the Mirror reports that both the Forza Sports Group and agent Junior Pedroso are claiming to be the principal mediators of the transfer and as such believe they are owed the huge sum.
– Everything you need to know about Antony
14.45 BST: Chelsea’s head of international scouting if leaving the club after more than a decade in another significant departure for the Blues’ transfer operations, the Daily Mail reports.
Scott McLachlan joined Chelsea from Fulham in 2011, but will leave Stamford Bridge to seek a new challenge after a period of gardening leave. His decision to move predates the Todd Boehly-led takeover of the club, though he stayed on to help the new owners through the summer transfer window.
McLachlan is the latest senior member of Chelsea’s recruitment staff to leave, following the departures of director Marina Granovskaia and technical performance advisor Petr Cech soon after the takeover was completed.
– Ogden: Chelsea must learn from Man United mistakes when replacing Granovskaia
13.58 BST: Barcelona are seeking legal advice over Atletico Madrid’s use of Antoine Griezmann, COPE reports.
Barca are concerned that Atletico are trying to avoid activating a clause in the forward’s loan deal that would see them pay Barcelona €40m to make his move permanent. That clause will kick in if Griezmann plays over 45 minutes in 50% of the Atletico games for which he is available over the two seasons of his loan, which is now entering its second year.
Atletico manager Diego Simeone suggested he’ll follow the club’s wishes when it comes to Griezmann when asked about the situation.
“You’ve known me for ten years as a coach. I’m a club man and I always will be,” Simeone replied when asked in a news conference on Friday how he would handle Griezmann.
Simeone has kept the France international on the bench in all four of Atletico’s LaLiga games so far — bringing him on with over an hour played against Getafe, Villarreal, Valencia and Sevilla — as Atletico look to put pressure on Barca to negotiate a reduced fee, or risk seeing Griezmann back at Camp Nou next summer.
13.04 BST: It won’t have escaped your notice that Nottingham Forest have been rather busy on the transfer front this summer as the newly promoted club look to make a splash on their big return to the Premier League.
Indeed, Forest managed to set a new British record with the 21 signings they’ve made in the 2022 summer window. That beats the previous record of 19 by one club in a single transfer window, previously held by Scottish sides Dundee (summer of 2000) and Livingston (2001.)
To put that in context, that comfortably eclipses the incoming transfers at all of the Premier League’s Big Six clubs — Manchester City (5), Manchester United (6), Liverpool (4), Chelsea (9), Arsenal (5) and Spurs (8), as well as other major European sides like Barcelona (7), Real Madrid (2), Bayern Munich (6) and Paris Saint-Germain (7).
So exactly who makes up Forest’s vast troupe of summer signings? Let’s meet them all (in chronological order) …
– Meet Nottingham Forest’s record-breaking 21 summer transfers
12.17 BST: Chelsea made a £50m deadline-day bid for Southampton midfielder Romeo Lavia, the Southern Daily Echo reports.
Lavia only signed for Saints in July from Manchester City, who inserted a clause into the transfer giving them the option to re-sign the 18-year-old if another club comes in for him.
The Belgium youth international has impressed in his first few appearances for Southampton, the most recent of which was the 2-1 win over Chelsea On Aug. 30, two days before the deadline. That inspired Chelsea to make the offer, a huge one for a teenager, but Southampton rejected it.
11.24 BST: Leeds United manager Jesse Marsch has said he wishes that the club did not have to loan winger Dan James out on deadline day.
Wales international James joined Fulham on Thursday for the remainder of the season, which freed up space in the Leeds squad and allowed them to bring in forward Wilfried Gnonto from FC Zurich.
“It was clear that if we needed to add something, we needed to move something,” Marsch said. “I hate speaking about it that way because I love Dan James. He’s an incredible person and he gives everything to the group, always.
“When we were trying to think about how to get the balance right in the team, he was garnering the most interest and it was the only way we could create flexibility to try and go out and add a striker in a position where we felt we needed one.
“I wish we wouldn’t have had to do it and even the way it went down … it was kind of tough for Dan. We discussed it with Dan weeks before the transfer deadline about the possibility. We had a lot of open conversations with Dan and it was tough at the end because I know he likes it here and his family like it here.
“I wish him luck, I really like him and I hope he has a good season and World Cup and we’ll see him again next summer.”
Marsch was sent off during Saturday’s 5-2 loss at Brentford, while James was a second-half substitute in Fulham’s 2-1 defeat at Tottenham.
– Marsch hits out at ‘lack of respect’ from referees
10.36 BST: Erik ten Hag has sent a message to Cristiano Ronaldo that he must work hard to adapt to the Manchester United manager’s style of play if he wants to win his place back as a regular starter.
Romaldo told the club he wanted to leave in order to play in the Champions League, but has remained at Old Trafford beyond the summer transfer deadline.
The 37-year-old started United’s first two games of the season, both of which they lost, and the team has since won all three of its matches with him on the bench.
The Portugal captain missed much of United’s preseason training, and Ten Hag says he must get up to speed with the rest of the squad in order to get back in the starting XI.
“I will be his friend. Sometimes I will be his teacher. It depends on the situation,” Ten Hag said. “As we all know, he didn’t have the preseason and you cannot miss the preseason. Especially the game we play, the way of play is not the type in comparison with last year.
“It depends, [and it] demands cooperation and demands certain positioning, in and out of possession. And the other thing is the fitness.”
09.49 BST: Finally, we’ve reached the end of the summer transfer window. Like it or not, your club’s team sheet is now what it’s going to look like for at least the next six months. Many players have left clubs they’ve been with for years and that means one thing is certain: player farewell letters.
It’s a well-worn art, much like trying not to look too smug while refusing to celebrate against your former team, or patting the referee on the back after he gives you a yellow card. When you leave a club, you at least have to leave a note on the way out. Otherwise you become a villain, a nasty antagonist who becomes the subject of glee when misfortune befalls you. Some players thrive on that sort of negativity, but most like to at least leave a courtesy note before they go.
But when you’re a fan of a player at your club and they’re suddenly leaving, you always want to make sure they really mean those things they wrote, at least on some level. Sometimes that heartbreak is easy to see; other times, it’s a little bit harder to tell. In an effort to turn absolutely everything into a competition, we’ve decided to rank some of the more notable farewell letters from departing players to their now-former clubs. The entries are being judged on their perceived sincerity, aesthetic quality in both the written and visual mediums, and accurate reflection of the player’s history with the club.
– Ranking players’ farewell messages after their big summer transfers
09.00 BST: Chelsea right-back Reece James has agreed terms over a new contract at Stamford Bridge, according to The Athletic.
The England international is set to become the highest-paid defender in the club’s history when he signs his new deal in the next few days.
James’ current contract is due to expire in 2025, but the 22-year-old will comit to the club on vastly improved terms that reflect his status as one of Chelsea’s key players.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– Rafael Leao scored two goals and assisted another as AC Milan defeated rivals Internazionale 3-2 on Saturday, and Calciomercato have now reported that the Rossoneri are pushing to extend the Portugal international’s contract. They plan to offer a long agreement that meets the demands of a player who wants his status as one of the world’s elite reflected.
– Fabrizio Romano has reported that the situation of Atalanta attacking midfielder Ruslan Malinovskyi remains open for next year. Tottenham Hotspur and Marseille both looked at the Ukraine international during the summer transfer window, wanting a loan with the option to make the move permanent. Malinovskyi’s hope was to join Spurs but La Dea decided not to offload him.
– Blackburn Rovers saw off summer interest from the likes of Everton, Fulham and Leeds United for their talismanic forward Ben Brereton Diaz, but are conscious that the Chile international could still depart in a future window. The Sun claims that the Championship outfit would look to sign Sunderland frontman Ross Stewart if that does happen, having also looked at him in the last window.
– World Cup winner Djibril Sidibe is in advanced talks with AEK Athens, reports L’Equipe, who add that discussions could be concluded as soon as Sunday. The 30-year-old has been a free agent since June 30, when his contract with AS Monaco expired.
– The transfer window may be closed, but French clubs are allowed to sign one more player from within the nation, and L’Equipe have suggested that Lorient will use their joker signing to bring in Yoann Cathline from Guingamp. The move could not materialise in the final hours of the window, but he is now set to commit to a five-year contract despite having also received attention from Troyes.
We would like to give thanks to the author of this post for this amazing material
LIVE Transfer Talk: Arsenal’s Gabriel on Juventus’ centre-back shortlist
Check out our social media profiles , as well as the other related pageshttps://topfut.com/related-pages/